Thursday, December 30, 2010

Goodbye, Germany. Hello, Cairo (I think)...

I'm leaving. Theoretically. I arrived at the Frankfurt airport this morning (it was snowing, btw :) ) three hours before my supposed flight was scheduled to depart and lined up behind twenty other passengers waiting to check-in on EgyptAir. When the counters finally opened I handed the agent my paper (written) ticket from Continental, along with my passport. She was clearly baffled by this as she turned it over several times, shook her head, and asked me when it was issued. A wave of heat and panic rushed over me. What if I didn't make it on this flight? This is the last flight out to Cairo today. WHY ARE THERE NO MORE FLIGHTS THAN THIS!? She told me the flight was already full and left her computer to discuss the situation with what I assume was a supervisor. He looked on her monitor, then at my ticket, then at me, and gave a nodd. The woman then turned to me and asked how many bags I had and if I wanted a window or aisle seat. SUCCESS! She took my bag (which apparently is small enough for American airliners, but way too big for Egyptian/European planes) and handed me my glorious boarding pass...complete with my name and seat number. She taped my paper ticket to the back and told me not to lose it "just in case." Of course I'm still a little nervous (especially when someone says something like "just in case"), but in 45 minutes I should finally be on a plane.

Cairo, here I come.

2 comments:

  1. If you run across Indiana Jones while in Cairo, he owes me money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for making it on the plane! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete